The History of Dancing Timber Homestead
The Michael Ahlem House
The property is registered with the PA Historical and Museum Commission; Bureau for Historic Preservation. A study was done in 1993, with photography of the house, barn and shed by Joseph Schuchman of the Bucks County Conservancy. The papers and pictures are on file with Milford Township.
It is known as the Michael Ahlem House. The house architectural style is Greek Revival, with stone foundation, stone walls, slate roof and stucco walls.
The barn is called a Gambrel Frame barn.
The carriage shed is a simple frame structure with two bays.
The study claims the house was built in 1840 (five years before Michael Ahlum died in 1845) but the deed lists the date as 1850, 5 years after his passing, that would mean someone else built the stone house. There was a gable placed near the roof line of the stone house, but the date was removed.
Two of the stone walls may have been part of the Fries Rebellion, when the locals were taxed to support the war effort by how many windows they had on their house and barn. The old stone windows on the barn were filled in and have remained that way.
We assume the stone house did not exist during the Fries Rebellion because of its five windows, indicating wealth.
Our story begins when Johannes Jacob Ahlum (1730 – 1802) arrived in America in 1751 and settled in what is now known as Haycock Township. He is known as one of the pioneering founders of that area. A wheel wright by trade, he and wife Anna Margaret (Drach) Ahlum (1738 – 1809), married in Bucks County in 1755.
Their sons settled in Richland, Bedminster, Rockhill, and Tinicum. Son Michael, born in Bucks County, (1760 – 1845), owned 65 acres in what is now known as Milford Township and is buried in Trumbauersville. Incidentally, two of his brothers, Jacob and Phillip, also died in 1845.
According to Michael Ahlum’s Will, dated February 25, 1845, Reg. Docket Vol. 004-005, 1839 – 1870, he left the property to his son-in-law, William Barndt and John Ahlum, possibly his surviving brother.
The barn pre-dates the house. The earliest tax records, 1789, show 65 acres, with 24 x 15 1 story log house, 50 x 40 round log barn and workshop. In 1827 tax records indicate Michael and John Ahlum as the landowners.
Michael and wife, Anna Margaret Yost (1771 – 1844), likely built the barn and log house.
There is a gap in the history until we find a map of the area in 1850 showing an A. Harring as the likely owner of the land. This would be five years after Michael’s passing and could indicate that he built the stone house but there is no proof of that.
Early maps show a J. Haring owned 75 acres in 1876.
In 1890 Erwin Harwick was the landowner. Amanda Harwick, widow of Erwin, and her children turned the estate over to Frank Scheetz (unknown year). 76 acres were recorded.
In 1910 Frank Scheetz sold 72 acres to Charles Hunsberger (Feb 26, 1910). In 1910 neighbors included the Harwick, Stricker, Barndt, Stull, Wonsidler and Haring families. There is a dowry from 1930 of family members from the Harwick, Nase, Barndt, and Hunsberger families named. Several of their offspring married Trumbauers.
When Charles Hunsberger died in 1969, his wife Annie and his children took over the property and sold 52 acres to Charles Baker in 1970. Evidence of the Hunsberger family exists today inside the barn walls, with their etchings, paintings and names painted on the walls.
We know that in the early 1900’s there were a series of arson fires in Milford Township and one of them may have taken place at the barn. There is an old metal WANTED sign nailed to a wall and evidence that part of the barn was rebuilt.
In 1978 Charles and Norma Baker created a 5 acre parcel that is where the house is located. Today, the lands once owned by Wonsidler are owned by Milford Township. The Trumbauersville house is bordered on 3 sides by this protected land.
Since the reduction to 5 acres, the property has belonged to 6 families, including us. The house was remodeled in the 1990’s. There are indications it was built in sections, with the section facing the street a publick house, open to travelers who could stop by for a drink. The interior walls of the front of the house and kitchen were once exterior walls. Several doors were clearly once exterior doors. The summer kitchen was attached to the main house eventually. There were 5 stone fireplaces, including one in the basement and one in the master bedroom that exist to this day.
Whoever owns the house is presented with what is known as the History Box, which contains deeds, records, and paperwork for anyone interested in knowing the history of the property. A table and chairs and old photograph also stay with the house, as does a little doll tucked into the upper barn sliding door, whom we believe is the barn guardian. Owners are given instructions that they always remain with the property.
Their stories have been lost to time.